Saturday 1 December 2018

Christmas Newsletter from Marjorie and Frank Willatt 2018


We are still here, everyone, although sometimes it is a wonder!!

We continue to make the most of our days with the great help of our family, and I’m afraid, carers for Frank 3 times a day, plus the local Medical Practice, District Nurses… I could go on!
We have a vehicle fitted with a ramp to take a wheelchair so that we can take Frank on occasional visits. It is much higher than my car so he can see well what is going on. We don’t go far as it is not as smooth as a car – and we still need two people to get him out of the house and down the ramp from the front door and so on!




I too have resorted to a wheelchair when we go any distance – for example, on my customary Wednesday trip with Sue, to the hair salon, to the cathedral to light a few candles, and to Sainsbury’s. I enjoy the shop windows, and now the Christmas lights and trees, as we go. Andrew generally stays with Frank and watches Gilbert and Sullivan and other old films on the television.


We spent the lovely Summer days in the garden, from late afternoon into the early evening, usually with Sue and Kevin (and a G’n’T of course!) Now it is far too cold for Frank, and he gets quite frustrated, but we do hope to take him to Derby Cathedral for the midday carol service.

We will spend Christmas Day at Sue and Kevin’s home with Andrew and Kathryn and families. That is, all being well, but we expect our granddaughter Caroline (Andrew and Kathryn’s daughter) to give birth to her first child on December 20th, so anything is possible! We have 7 great grandchildren so far! We are looking forward to seeing John, Julia, Chloe and Emma just after Christmas – they are coming over from Australia next month for a few weeks. Hard to believe, but John was 40 yesterday!

I started the year badly – after weeks of agony, I was finally diagnosed with a broken leg (a horizontal pressure fracture just above the ankle). So I spent 6 weeks with a pot on – then 6 weeks with an enormous boot on. I finally began to hobble about with a walker…

Everyone was very helpful but after a while I began to start doing some jobs for myself. One day, when I thought I had a couple of hours to myself, I decided I needed to mop the bathroom floor…This meant taking the mop and bucket upstairs on the stairlift. I managed to get these from the carport and onto my knee with me sitting on the chair and up I went. It was rather precarious! And at the first bend everything slipped and wedged me and my ‘just getting better leg’ against the wall. I was truly stuck with no way of letting anyone know for help. I tried moving the chair up and down but it wouldn’t budge and I was rubbing the skin off my knee too!

It took almost an hour to wriggle myself free and then I was halfway up the stairs anyway. By then there was a wide and deep wound on my knee and blood everywhere. I finally got down into the hall and then pondered what to do. I couldn’t tell the family because they would be so cross with me! I finally got upstairs again and changed my trousers and started to clean up the mess - but the wound was throbbing and the dressing fell off.

 It was not until the next day that Sue and Liz came round. They and Kevin had had a tortuous trip back from Devon after the Glas Denbury Musical Festival – the car had broken down! Within half an hour Sue and I were off to the small injuries hospital in Ilkeston (a small town a few miles away). Once there the medical staff could trace the history of my broken leg and I had a series of X rays. Fortunately nothing untoward was found – but I did have to spend 14 weeks visiting the Nurse 3 times per week until my knee started to heal…
 By the way, I do manage to wash the bathroom floor – I scoot about with a floor cloth under each foot…

Once a month we have the Golden Oldies for a buffet lunch and we do enjoy it! We often play a very simple card game 2 or 3 times - with very valuable prizes (!) - it is amazing the glee with which these are won!  Really we have so much to say to each other the time flies, very noisily with lots of laughter and memories. Unfortunately Brian has had a poor year healthwise but Ann has managed to drive them down from Sheffield – my sister Kath has also not been well for some time having difficulty in breathing and more.  The day she had a stair lift fitted, her central heating broke so she has been staying with her daughters since then!  She has missed the last two Golden Oldies get – togethers. However today we heard that she is a little better and hopefully will make our Christmas luncheon party on the 13th. It would be lovely as nothing is quite right if anyone is missing!




At the last GOs, I had the harvest baskets ready for the family.



However this will be the last time I will do these – it gets more and more difficult to do all the preserves. In fact Kevin, with some help from Sue, made much of the jam, marmalade, pickles and chutneys this year. I do still like to bake though – my flapjack is still a favourite with everyone! I always have a cake in the tin and I made toffee and toffee apples for Bonfire Night.



In June, Frank’s brother Bill was 90 and he had a lovely ‘do’. Unfortunately, we couldn’t attend but Eddie and David were there, all his family and most of his nephews and nieces.

Image may contain: 3 people, including Bill Willatt, people smiling, people sitting, beard and indoor

We have lots of help from our family – from making breakfast to cooking dinner – and doing any jobs that need doing…We are really very fortunate and cheerful most of time. Sue wouldn't agree - she says I'm not happy if I have nothing to worry about. Anyway, I usually have!!
We will miss Sophie from January – she has a new teaching job in Melbourne (Australia). She has been emptying her house in anticipation of the move – Michael was delighted to receive her Christmas tree!

Anyway I better get this finished as tomorrow is the 1st day of Advent and things will be getting exciting! I hope everyone has had a good 2018 – would love to hear your news…


With lots of love and wishing you the very best for Christmas and the New Year – 2019

Marg and Frank
xx


P.S. Here we are, with Michael, at the cathedral!


No comments:

Post a Comment